Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Week 7 Blog post!!! :) :) :)


Devery's Blog Post Week 7
1.                 Complete the Meeting Aesclepius mp3 (located in the Doc Sharing area). Describe your meditative practices for the week and discuss the experience. Explain how mindfulness or meditation has fostered an increase in your psychological or spiritual wellness. How can you continue to apply these practices in your life to foster greater health and wellness?
I always seem to have distractions or some kind of sound in the background to disturb me on these meditations I do; so, I do not fully get to experience the true outcome of this practice. I love the background sounds of the ocean and flute playing. I think it would be interesting to get those sounds and play them on a stereo throughout the house. Even though  I did no other meditations during the week, I did close my eyes and took deep breaths to relax myself when needed. I did try to get rid of my sinus headache by pushing it out. That seemed like it was starting to work and then I had distractions as always and it did not work. I believe that meditation has increased my psychological and spiritual wellness; however I need a lot more practice. When I meditate, I feel relaxed and refreshed feeling with a clear and uplifted mind. I can continue with doing these practices more often and adding more meditation time. I can also look into different kinds of meditation on the net to keep it interesting and to expand my knowledge, health and wellness.
2.                 Describe the saying: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (p.477). How does this apply to the health and wellness professional? Do you have an obligation to your clients to be developing your health psychologically, physically, and spiritually? Why or why not? How can you implement psychological and spiritual growth in your personal life?
What is meant by that saying is that if one person has not gone to that place, how can that individual take someone else there if he/she had never been there themselves? Maybe they can go together? Or see if the other individual knows the way. If I am not healthy and well, then how can I guide others into health and wellness if I do not practice what I preach? Yes you do have an obligation to your clients, because a well schooled, spiritually attained, psychologically stable, and physically fit individual can guide others that need to obtain these things as well. Schooling and practicing can help and individual grow in psychological and spiritual health.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dee,

    I am sorry you weren't able to have much success with this exercise. I recall you had mentioned having to go to your parents' home for the internet, which would make it difficult to have any control of your environment...it's not like you can tell your parents to turn the t.v. off and stop talking, or even leave the room...lol. In doing these meditative exercises, it is imperative to be in an environment that is conducive to relaxation. I've attempted some when my children were awake, and those efforts only proved futile. Were you able to at least envision someone as your wise guide? I had some struggles with this exercise, not because I was distracted...the house was completely quiet, but because I felt a conflict with it. To elaborate, my wise guide was Jesus...so, I was apprehensive about imagining myself as Him. Anyway, I do see how this exercise would be beneficial. I loved the suggestion of allowing His light to enter my heart and transform it into loving kindness and compassion. You should attempt this exercise again, when you are able to minimize distractions.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dee,
      I too, like you and Nicole, have had some difficulty finding quiet time to do these meditation ex's at home. Fortunately, I have discovered how to overcome it. I ride a bus to work. I have begun listening to the tapes at home, but then running through them on the ride to and from work.
      I know most people drive themselves, but I think practicing this can still be accomplished. Try getting to work 10 minutes early, and sitting in your car once you've parked. Use those 10 minutes to practice these meditation exercises we have learned this term. I am confident the benefit you experience will far outweigh the 10 minutes spent achieving it.

      God will bless your efforts!

      Delete
  2. Devery,

    Thank you for your post! Sometimes the background noise in these assignments seems to help and sometimes it is a hindrance. This time it was a hindrance for me but I guess that just goes to show that everyone has to find the meditation style that works best for them. Good luck in your future meditations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devery,

    I can relate with you on the background noise. There is not much quiet in my house until my kids go to bed. I have found that doing deep breathing exercises throughout the day helps and can be done with no time restraints anywhere, for however long. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete